Understable is a term that describes the overall flight pattern of golf discs, i.e. where they land compared to their starting point.
* Understable discs are the most beginner friendly.
* They turn in the direction of their spin during the initial stages of their flight when thrown flat, straight and with average power. Towards the end of their flight as they lose speed, all spinning discs tend to fall in the opposite direction of their spin, but not so much for understable discs. Therefore...
* RHBH (right handed back hand) throws will spin right and turn to the right. Opposite for lefties, i.e. LHBH (left hand back hand) throws will spin left and turn left.
* They turn in proportion to the speed of release. RHBH fast released discs fly in the direction of their spin longer and further before they eventually tail off to the left at the end of their flights, therefore ending much more to the right compared to their starting point. Slower released discs will not see much movement in the direction of their spin, fly rather straight and then quickly fall opposite the direction of their spin as they lose speed, i.e. ending less to the right compared to the starting point.
* Great for beginners but also used by pros and experienced players for various specialty shots.
* Easiest for new players to control.
* Provide the most distance for beginning disc golfers.
* Use them for anhyzer shots on a dogleg right or for roller shots.
* Generally not used in a headwind as they are too unpredictable.
This list of understable distance drivers can be sorted by Model (which is really Manufacturer), Price or Plastic which will arrange discs in groups that may help your search. Play around with it.
If you still have questions or would like some advice on what type of discs fit you best, please contact us for friendly expert advice. We've been in the business since 1987, throwing even longer and we love what we do!
The Discraft Elite Z Dyed NUKE SS is a maximum distance driver with a stability of 1.0. The moderately overstable disc delivers virtually effortless distance for newer players with lower arm speed. The Nuke SS gives developin…
The Latitude 64 Bolt - Zero is an understable distance driver. The flight of the Bolt is like an understable Halo. It goes very fast and has an understable flight path with good glide. It will fit the player that does not hav…
The Latitude 64 Vision - Zero is a distance driver that was developed to suit beginner and amateur disc golf players. It has an understable flight path and good glide. It can also be used as a roller by more advanced players.…